1. O INTRODUCTION
1.1 BACKGROUNDOF THE STUDY
According to GokeRafiu  mass media is the modern means of giving information to a large number of people. However for better understanding ‘mass’ and ‘media ‘ must be defined.
According to Head  who took a comprehensive look at the word ‘mass’ said ‘though rather used loosely ,the term ‘mass’ usually implies  relatively large audience and  relatively undifferentiated audience composition.
‘Media’ is a method or way of expressing something especially message. According to AdewumiOlajide in his book Introduction to mass communication [pg 16] he said ‘ media are organizations that distribute cultural product or message that affect and reflect the culture of the society ‘. He also said further that ‘media provide information simultaneously to large heterogeneous audience’
Therefore mass media is the means of communicating to large number of people through the use of electronic media such as television, radio, internet, billboard and print media like newspaper, magazines e. t. c
The main purposes of mass media are to give
These various concepts are explained thus;
- Information: This means that mass media informs or enlighten people about events and happenings around them and about their government.
- Education : mass media is also meant to teach its audience by imparting knowledge to broaden the horizon and mind of the people and to develop them mentally, morally, culturally, educationally e. t. c
- Entertainment:mass media features comedians and drama troops which entertains the listeners and viewers. Also newspaper and magazines publish cartoons, riddles and crosswords to task the brain of their readers and to entertain them at their leisure time.
- Advertisement: An important function of mass media is advertisement which is the livewire of the media house because it generates revenue to run the organization.
1.2 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The main objective of this research project is to know the important roles that mass media are playing in the society.Also to know the important roles of mass media in our economy and information.More so, to know the effort of mass media on the society and country at large.
1.3 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
This research will enable the people in the society and country to discover the importance of mass mediaeither radio, television, billboards, newspaper and magazines e. t. c and how it can affect one’s standard of living.
1.4 STATEMENT OF RESEARCH STUDY
The people in the society must be able to know the roles and importance of mass media such as radio, television, magazines, and the effort of mass media in the area of information, education, entertainment and advertisement.
1.5 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
Based on the fact that some people in the society does not know the roles and effects of mass media in the society, this research work ultimate aim is to provide answers to the following research questions.
- What are the roles of mass media in the society?
- What are the effects of mass media in the area of economic and information?
- What are the opinionsof people on mass media?
- Why do people in the society view mass media as a medium of information dissemination?
- What is mass media?
1.6 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The research is only limited to non literate because the Ibarapa polytechnic students are literates
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS
For the better understanding of this study, the terms ‘roles’ , ‘mass media’,and ‘society’ are defined as follows;
ROLES; They are the functions, significance, value and purpose of mass media In the society.
MASS MEDIA : These are various means of publishing and broadcasting information to a large number of people e.g. radio, television, newspapers, magazines, e. t. c
SOCIETY: society is a long standing groups of people sharing cultural aspects such as language, dress, norms of behavior and artistic forms. These people live in a community sharing the same law and customs together.