BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Various writers have view advertising from different perspective.
According to APCON (Advertising Practitioners Council of Nigeria), Advertising is defined as a form of communication in the media about products, services and ideas paid for by an identified sponsor.
Also by Doghuje (1985), looking at it from the marketing point of view, says “Advertising is a marketing tool whose aim is to build preference for advertised brands and services.”
It can also be defined as any paid form of non-personal communication about an organizational product, services, or idea by an identified sponsor (Beanet 2006).
Lastly, advertising is a persuasive force that aims at changing customer’s attitude and patterns of behavior to a product or service (by the use of mass communication media) in ways which would be favorable to the vendors.
However, people who work in the area of advertising as part of marketing mix often emphasize the act of advertising. This is because they use advertising as part of a mixture of element combine in a marketing plan to achieve an effect.
However, advertising has a good number of effects on businesses. Companies make use of advertising to achieve by varying the message and it content in the advertisement.
Advertising media are as follow:
2. Newspaper and Magazine
5. Poster and Billboard
6. Handbills and Catalogs
7. Free samples
TYPES OF ADVERTISING
1. BUSINESS TO BUSINESS ADVERTISING: This type of advertising tends to be more detailed and informative because the purpose is to promote non-consumer goods and services. This may include raw materials, component and accessories, plant and machinery.
It is also a situation whereby a company directs their advertisements to other companies.
2. CLASSIFIED ADVERTISING: Usually this is a copy that is paid for per word and a word may be #50, so a copy with 20words will cost #1000. Such copies are usually used by those changing their names, most especially married ones.
Classified advertising are otherwise called small advertising, and they are called classified advertising because they are grouped according to their content.
3. FIRE BRIGADE ADVERTISING: They are advertising that are placed by a company most especially with their image. Or a Company advertising its own side controversy e.g. between management and staff union in order to get out of staff unrest. And it is embarked upon to get a company out of problem.
4 CO-OPERATIVE ADVERTISING. This is when an advertisement is sponsored by at least two bodies. For example an advertisement by both manufacturer and retailer is a co-operative advertisement.
Public relation advertising (institutional advertising) producer sometimes use advertising to promote it publics relation objectives .public relations is a planned effort to influence opinion through social responsible performance base on mutual satisfactory communications.
Given this potential however, advertising may produce an efficient instrument of communication to further the public relations programmes of various firms. Producer has the following as their public’s stockholders, employers, customers, prospective customers.
POSITIVE EFFECT OF ADVERTISING ON A BUSINESS
Advertising and promotion offer a new function to consumers, whereby customers learn about new products and services available to them.
Consumers have a rational response to advertising when they look at the features of a product and services. This focus on a logical list of all the functional aspects of the offering.
Advertisements are sometimes intended for immediate sales and revenue presentation of sales promotion through advertising are the ways to drive business quickly. Television and radio advert can also communicate your message in print advertisement such as with magazine and newspaper, one can include sales promotion tools such as coupon, right in the advert. New businesses often use promotion to build a consumer base but they are used to sell excess inventory and create cash flow when needed.
STATEMENT OF RESEARCH PROBLEM
Different misconceptions were held about advertising which makes people to turn down the credibility of the advert message, and some of the misconceptions are as follows;
- Some people believe that advertising is just a mere waste of resources.
- Advert messages are sometime half true and half lie (propaganda).
- At times people take advert messages as a medium of entertainment.
PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The purpose of the study is to know the effect and evaluation of advertising on the success of a business.
- Whether advertisement can propel or appeal to a large heterogeneous audience in buying and consuming the Nigerian Brewery product.
OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
- To know the concept of advertisement and it various forms
- To assess to which extent advertisement reflect on the sales volume of the Nigerian brewery product.
- What are the benefits of advertisement on the success of a business
- What is the attitude of people towards an advert message
- What have been the contribution of advertisement to the success of a business
SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The scope of the research is limited to the potential buyers of the Nigerian Brewery product.
LIMITATION OF THE SYUDY
Duration: Time recall affects because I have a very short period of time in writing this project and school is still on session.
Finance: Finance is another issue that causes delay on the collation of this research topic thereby causing this project to suffer inadequate findings.
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
- To add more credibility to advert messages
- For every advert message to have positive effect on the success of a business.