1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Many factors affect the working environment. Each of these factors has its own place, effects, and significance on the enterprise. These factors vary and many in a time some seem to be of greater interest to business managers than others. Technological changes have had its tools on business and the way they are conducted all over the world. Computers are in more use. Less and lesser number of people constitutes the staff of organizations. Business managers take great not of this and adjust their various activities accordingly.
The social environment of business organization is another thing. Business manager recognize the fact that their social environment and the occurrences therefore are the major factors in decision making. Another factor is the economy itself in which businesses operate. It is a common fact that more than just a correlation exists between business activities and economic condition. Even non business experts or personnel are aware of this. But there is another major factor in the business environment thought of managers as the above mentioned factors. It is the aspect of “Employee Motivation”.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
These days, one cannot but begin to imagine how much neglect and maltreatment most employee are subjected to by their employers. The ideal thing is that an employee should be happy doing what he know how to do for increased productivity. But nowadays, this is not so because most employers of labour do not appreciate the most important factor in employer- employee relationship- “Motivation”.
This work is to study the research why this is so, and how it can be resolved. This study is making use of Union Bank Plc. Ibadan as a case study. It will also select a few of the Areas Offices: Eleyele and Iwo Road Area Offices.
1.3 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
This study is to find out how much of employee motivation are utilized in our organization today. What do organizations have of employee motivation? To what extent: how far is it satisfied? What lapses and inadequacies, what remedies and which way forward?
Specifically therefore, therefore, the study is to examine:
- Whether any relationship exists at all between organization success/failure and employee motivation.
- If it does, what kind of relationship i.e. what does the relationship signify in all concerned; and
- How much does the same exist i.e. what extent in order to determine the degree of need, urgency and significance?
On the whole, the study will serve organization and help individuals to know much more and enable them perform better in relevant circumstances as regards the subject of discuss i.e. “Employee Motivation”
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The significance or objective of this study is:
- To provide material information through data analysis on one of the major areas of organizational survivals.
- To provide the information in a simple and accessible way to whom it is relevant.
- To make employee more aware of their significance to their organizations and at the same time be more able of the limitations that surrounds their importance.
- To make employee further appreciate the essence of their employees further appreciate the essence of their employers and at the same time, embrace their employees further appreciate the essence of their employers and at the same time, embrace the opportunities open to them as regards employing staff.
- To see a better standard of how working conditions should be like.
- To enlighten employers and employees on matters of improving the existing employer- employee relationship.
- To serve as a yardstick on organizational success and high performance in all aspects it may be measured.
1.5 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
That employee motivation strategy will lead to company’s improvement and growth.
That employee motivation will bring about smooth human relationship between the staff and employers.
That employee’s motivation will bring about increase in production and high quality services.
Employee’s motivation is an instrument in sustaining staff and pride or place in the market.
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The scope of this study will be limited to two branch offices of Union Bank Pls, Dugbe, Ibadan and the sales outlet in Iwo Road respectively.
It will focus on the place of employees’ motivation in relating staff and in bringing about increased productivity.
The scope of this research will also cover the overall influence of staff motivation on the general well-being of an organization
1.7 DEFINITION OF TERMS
• Employee: One engaged in the service of an organization (not owned by him) for financial and other benefits to cater for his personal needs
- Well- Being: Overall performance of an organization in terms of profits, good will, staff retention e.t.c over a period of time.
- Organization: A profit- oriented enterprise.
- Motivational Tool: Organizational policies geared towards enhancing employees’ job satisfaction