1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Globally, most of the institutions and organizations rely on use of traditional paper verification methods to verify the documents presented to them. These organizations and institution do not have the capacity to verify the document presented to them instantly. One of the problems we have in traditional paper based is that people and especially recruiters and employers find difficulty in knowing the validity of documents such as academic certificates presented to them because there is no way they can authenticate those documents instantly. In the current scenario most of the organization does not have the capacity to instantly authenticate the documents presented. Traditional identity information verification and validation processes were developed in a “paper” transaction world.
This Project is centered on the need to adopt automatic online verification system that will save the huddles of manual verification method. This will enable anybody or an employer to verify an institution certificate online, without having to come down to the school to do so. All that is required of the employer is to login into the verification link given, which is a link to the institution portal and enter the certificate number of the certificate he or she wants to verify, then the original copy of that certificate will be displayed on the screen along with the following message (assuming the name of the certificate owner is “Njoeteni Orikeze”), “Njoeteni Orikeze” is a graduate of Computer Science Department, The Ibarapa polytechnic Eruwa, he graduated in the year 2015. Please carefully compare the certificate you have there with the one on your screen any alteration renders that certificate invalid”. But if the certificate number is invalid (i.e a forged certificate number), the following message will be displayed on the screen “Invalid Certificate”, we don’t have details of this person in our record, it is either you mistyped the certificate number or the owner did not pass through this institution, Verify and try again, please if the problem persists contact the school +2348000000000, email@example.com”
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Verification of certificates is a major concern in organization, academic institutions, recruiters and employers. Employers have been experiencing has high alarming rate of fake certificates. This is as a result production of fake certificates. Firstly, the traditional paper-based prototype of verification contributes in production of fake certificates which poses a difficult in knowing the validity of such academic certificates presented to them because there is no way they can authenticate them instantly. Secondly, modern technology and the rise of the internet have undoubtedly contributed to the wide-spread trend of educational fraud and fake degrees.
1.3 AIM AND OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The main aim of this study is to design and implement certificate verification system which verifies a certificate against the certificates produced by the school and also to authenticate certificate and reduce academic fraud of certificate. This method will phase out outdated paper or manual method, though the papers will still be kept safe in schools for future reference.
Objectives of the study include:
- To make Certificate accessibility Easy
- To save time and Resources
- To resolve the issue of manual verification of certificate
- To prevent risk in transits in result verification, etc.
- To authenticate certificate
1.4 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This study will concentrate on the development of a prototype for academic certificates verifications. The product or Output is a software product called vericert. Vericert is a system for verifying academic certificates. It is available for anyone or any organization that wishes to establish the veracity of academic documents presented to them by any candidate seeking a job.
1.5 Significance of the study
When the project goes online the following benefit will be realized:-
Recruiters and employers receive the benefit because the system gives the opportunity to authenticate the certificates.
Help the recruiting agencies in verification of academic certificates held by an individual.
Verification Software reduces instances of academic fraud. Improves fraud detection
1.6 Definitions of important terms
- Grid: Globally distributed units with different operating prototypes and hardware being capable of processing a large amount of data collaboratively.
- Virtualization in computing is a term that refers to the various techniques, methods or approaches of hybrid online creating a virtual (rather than actual) version of something, such as a virtual, operating prototype (OS).
- Clusters: A computer cluster consists of a set of loosely connected computers that work together so that in many respects they can be viewed as a single prototype.
- Hypervisors: In computing, a hypervisor or virtual machine manager (VMM) is a piece of computer software, firmware or hardware that creates and runs virtual machines.
- Prototype: A prototype is an early sample, model, or release of a product built to test a concept or process or to act as a thing to be replicated or learned from.
- Iteration: is the repetition of a function or process in a computer program, especially in the form of a loop.
- Incremental computation, is a software feature which whenever a piece of data changes, attempts to save time by only recomputing those outputs which depend on the changed data.
- Certificate: a document serving as evidence or as written testimony, as of status, qualifications, privileges, or the truth of something.
- Authenticate: is the process of verifying the identity of a person or device usually based on a user name and password.
- Online: is the condition of being connected to a network of computers or other device.
- Ubiquitous computing is a paradigm in which the processing of information is linked with each activity or object as encountered.